CHIROPRACTOR FOR WHIPLASH INJURIES IN SINGAPORE
Whiplash is a neck injury caused by an abrupt backwards or jerking motion of the head. Our Chiropractors employ non-surgical techniques to address whiplash injuries by improving function, improving alignment, correcting misalignments caused by the whiplash injury etc.
WHAT IS WHIPLASH INJURY?
Whiplash occurs when the head is suddenly “whipped” in one direction—backwards or forwards—and then the other. Whiplash injuries are most commonly from car accidents such as a head-on collision or being hit from behind, but can also be caused by any fall or accident with a similar jerking motion of the head on the neck.
Discomfort and neck pain from whiplash injuries is a result of:
- soft tissues tear or sprain
- injury in the joints, discs, muscles, ligaments
- injury in nerves in the neck
- misalignment of the upper neck bones (C1 and C2), called Subluxation
When symptoms of whiplash appear after an incident, you must consult a whiplash injury specialist to assess the severity of your condition.
Symptoms following whiplash include the following:
- Neck pain
- Reduced motion of the neck or shoulder
- Shoulder pain
- Tingling/numbness/weakness in the arms or fingers
- Ringing in the ears
- Memory problems
- Disturbed sleep
Older adults and those who already have neck issues may be more vulnerable to soft tissue injury since weaker and less flexible muscles limit their ability to move.
However, symptoms of a whiplash injury can take years to manifest, and many people wait until there are further complications before seeking Chiropractic care.
What are Whiplash Triggers?
- Stress – As explained by Chiropractors, stress plays a big factor in triggering the symptoms of whiplash patients. When stressed, the brain is working harder on mental and emotional tasks. With this reduced capacity, there is less focus on maintaining the body in its healthy balance, including healing the parts of the neck and maintaining proper nerve function.
- Head Movements – When moving the head quickly, it will stress the already damaged joints, muscles and nerves. This will prolong the recovery.
- Lack of sleep – If the body doesn’t get adequate rest, the body will not be able to heal itself efficiently.
PREVENTIVE ACTIONS AGAINST WHIPLASHWhile it’s challenging to prevent whiplash injuries completely, some preventive actions can minimise the risk or reduce the severity of an injury. Here are some preventive measures our whiplash specialists recommend:
- Always wear a seat belt when driving or riding in a vehicle and ensure it is properly positioned.
- Ensure that the headrest in your vehicle is positioned correctly to support the head and neck and minimise excessive movement during an impact.
- Maintain a safe distance between your vehicle and the one in front to allow for sufficient reaction time and minimise the chances of a rear-end collision.
- When driving, observe traffic rules and avoid being distracted. Make sure to follow speed limits to reduce the risk of being involved in accidents that can cause whiplash.
- Maintain good posture while sitting, especially when working or driving for extended periods. Sit with your back supported and avoid slouching to reduce strain on the neck and spine.
- Specialists recommend incorporating exercises that target the muscles supporting the neck and upper back into your fitness routine. Strong muscles can provide better stability and protection against whiplash injuries.
- Regular physical activity and consulting with a fitness specialist to maintain overall fitness can improve muscle strength, flexibility, and coordination, which may help prevent or minimise the impact of whiplash injuries.
- Stay vigilant while engaging in activities such as sports or recreational activities that may carry a risk of sudden impacts or collisions. Be mindful of your surroundings and take appropriate precautions to reduce the risk of injury.
HOW TO MANAGE A WHIPLASH INJURY?
There are two ways to manage a whiplash injury using Chiropractic methods:
The primary technique for whiplash management in Chiropractic is upper cervical Chiropractic adjustment. This involves gentle thrusting to locate misaligned neck joints and realign them. The Chiropractor may use different methods, such as gentle thrusts or repeated strokes, depending on your specific case.
In cases where there is a bulging or herniated disc aggravated by the whiplash injury, a gentle, non-thrusting technique called the flexion-distraction technique is employed. Instead of applying direct force to the spine, the Chiropractor uses a pumping motion on the disc. It’s important to note that this approach may provide short-term relief and may be less long-lasting compared to upper cervical spinal adjustments.
HOW IS WHIPLASH DIAGNOSED?
- Comprehensive Evaluation: Diagnosis of whiplash involves a thorough assessment of your symptoms by a specialist.
- Physical Examination: This examination focuses on the neck, spine, and related areas. It includes a range of motion tests, orthopaedic examinations, strength tests and reflex assessments.
- Imaging: To further evaluate the whiplash injury, specialists use imaging studies, which may include X-ray to rule out fractures, MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) for more complex cases and CT Scan (Computed Tomography) when there are indications of possible bone damage.
HOW CAN A CHIROPRACTOR FOR WHIPLASH HELP?
Whiplash pain is commonly managed with painkillers (such as Panadol and Ibuprofen), massage, injections, ultrasound, and surgery in rare cases. However, these methods often provide only short-term relief. If underlying damage to your C1 and C2 vertebrae is not addressed, problems can resurface years later. To prevent this, consider rehabilitation as an alternative to manage symptoms and issues like Atlanto Occipital Subluxation, which can lead to the return of whiplash symptoms.
Upper Cervical care is effective for whiplash injuries, focusing on C1 and C2 issues. Addressing the misalignment in these vertebrae can help relieve muscle, ligament, and joint pain while addressing secondary symptoms. Consult an upper cervical-specific Chiropractor who specialises in the Atlas (C1) and Axis (C2) to assess your Atlanto Occipital Articulation, which is the joint between your cervical spine and the base of your skull.
With upper cervical care from a whiplash injury specialist, you can help manage symptoms such as dizziness, vertigo and ear fullness. Previous patients have reported improvements in hearing and tinnitus, more so beyond 6 weeks, but individual response times may vary.
FOLLOW-UP STEPS AFTER YOUR WHIPLASH CHIROPRACTIC SESSION
After the initial care for whiplash injury, continue follow-up appointments with your Chiropractor for ongoing evaluation and monitoring of your condition. The duration of whiplash pain management varies based on injury severity and response to care. Typically, minor cases may take a few weeks to a couple of months and more severe cases may require several months of care. During follow-up sessions, the Chiropractor will assess your progress, make necessary care plan adjustments, and address new symptoms or concerns.
Here are the follow-up steps to ensure effective management of your whiplash injury:
- Stay consistent with your care plan and attend appointments on time to effectively manage your symptoms.
- Adequate rest is crucial for healing. Follow your whiplash specialist’s advice on activity restrictions and modifications.
- Engage in self-care, including applying ice or heat, maintaining good posture, and avoiding activities that worsen pain.
- Your Chiropractor may recommend lifestyle changes to help prevent future injuries, such as maintaining a healthy diet for tissue repair, managing stress levels and avoiding activities that strain the neck and spine.
- Keep communication open with your whiplash injury specialist. Report any symptom changes, limitations, or concerns promptly. They can provide guidance and adjust the care plan as needed.
RISKS OF NOT GETTING HELP FOR WHIPLASH
Choosing not to seek Chiropractic care or delay getting help for your whiplash can lead to various risks and potential complications. Some of the risks associated with not getting the proper care for your whiplash include:
Neglecting whiplash Chiropractic care may lead to decreased flexibility and limited range of motion in the neck, which can impact daily activities and overall quality of life.
Whiplash injuries left untreated may contribute to the development of secondary symptoms, such as headaches, migraines, dizziness, vertigo, and shoulder or back pain. Consulting with a Chiropractor can help prevent or address these issues.
CONSULT CHIROPRACTORS FOR WHIPLASH
At Vitality Chiropractic, we specialise in Chiropractic Upper Cervical care and were the first to bring this technique to Southeast Asia. Our unique NeuroPro method combines computed infrared thermography nerve scans and biomechanical X-rays to accurately diagnose the problem and offer care for whiplash to the neck.
Read reviews or hear testimonials from our patients about our whiplash injury care options in Singapore.
PRICE FOR WHIPLASH CHIROPRACTIC CARE IN SINGAPORE
Here are the expected rates for whiplash Chiropractic care.
Phone call with the Chiropractor for whiplash assessment
Full history, physical examination, postural assessment, and nerve system tests
Explanation of findings and X-rays, custom care plan
Nerve scans, adjustment, re-examinations, and rehab exercises
Meet Our Whiplash & Concussion Singapore Chiropractors
Shaan is a GCC registered Chiropractor from London (UK) who graduated from the Anglo-European College of Chiropractic (UK). He has completed post-graduate studies and has been a decade of experience..
He founded Vitality Chiropractic Centres to open the first Upper Cervical clinic in Singapore.
He is the Alliance of Chiropractic (AOC) Vice President and Chairman for Outreach, organising events with People’s Association (PA) and other charities. Shaan has served thousands of patients, with experience in patients with headaches, migraines, vertigo, Meniere’s, whiplash, IBS and other chronic nervous system problems.
“You are always better off with a healthy nerve system than an unhealthy nerve system, regardless of symptoms” – Shaan
Jessey is a GCC registered Chiropractor from Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia), graduated from Anglo-European College of Chiropractic (UK). She has experience serving patients from 2 weeks old to 96 years old prior to moving to Singapore and joining Vitality Chiropractic.
She has completed post-graduate studies and is Singapore’s first female Upper Cervical Chiropractor.
Jessey is active in outreach, participating in charitable trips to Cambodia and within Singapore. Jessey has experience helping patients with headaches, migraines, vertigo, Meniere’s, slipped disc, anxiety, fibrillations, IBS and other chronic nerve system problems. She also has a special interest in children and younger patients.
“I am passionate about helping people kick-start their healing process and have a second chance at life” – Jessey
OUR PATIENT REVIEWS
I’ve had neck ache and shoulder ache problems for years, and had tried acupuncture, sports massages and physiotherapy prior to visiting Vitality, but to no avail as all these treatments only gave temporary relief. After undergoing chiropractric treatment at Vitality by Dr Jessey for about 5 months, my nagging neck ache and shoulder ache are pretty much gone and I’m happy that I have more mobility in these areas now.